United States of America

Travel Insurance

The Department of Foreign Affairs strongly recommends that comprehensive travel insurance including medical insurance, is obtained before travelling to the United States of America (USA),as the cost of medical care in the USA can be very high.   Travellers should note that the Irish government does not provide funds for emergency medical repatriation or for repatriation of remains.  

Travel Registration

Irish citizens travelling or living overseas, outside the Common Travel Area, (Ireland/Great Britain) are encouraged to register their contact details with the Department of Foreign Affairs.

Registration is voluntary. It is a facility available to all Irish citizens and is intended for use by people travelling on holidays, and also for business travellers and Irish citizens living overseas. Irish citizens can register here.


Entering the US under the Visa Waiver Programme

As from July 1st 2009, nationals or citizens of VWP (Visa Waiver Programme) countries have not been permitted to enter the United States under the VWP using emergency and temporary passports issued after 26 October 2006, unless those passports have an integrated computer chip holding the same information printed on the passport bio-page (“e-passport”).

Irish Emergency Passports do not have an integrated computer chip and therefore can only be used for entry to the United States if the traveller has been issued with a Visa.

Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA)

ESTA is an electronic registration system requiring travellers who are part of the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) to register in advance of travelling to the USA. Mandatory registration has come into force since 12 January 2009.

Visa Waiver travellers should register through the Department of Homeland Security website at the following address: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov.  Travellers from Visa Waiver Program countries are required to pay a fee when applying for an Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). The fee is currently $14.

Registration may be done by third parties e.g. travel agencies. 

ESTA applications may be submitted at any time prior to travel, and once approved, generally will be valid for up to two years or until the applicant's passport expires, whichever comes first. Authorisations will be valid for multiple entries into the U.S. The Department of Homeland Security recommends that ESTA applications be submitted at least 72 hours in advance of travel.

An applicant who does not receive authorisation to travel will need to go to their nearest U.S. Diplomatic or Consular Mission and apply for a visa.

An ESTA approval does not determine admissibility into the United States. The final decision for entry to the United States rests with US immigration authorities at the port of entry.

The ESTA programme does not apply to Irish citizens who are holders of a visa for the United States.

For more information on ESTA, please visit http://www.cbp.gov/ESTA

Visa free travel to the U.S. under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP).

Since 26 October 2004, all Irish passport holders visiting the United States require an individual machine readable passport to avail of the U.S. Visa Waiver Programme. Otherwise they must obtain a visa, in advance, from their nearest U.S. Diplomatic or Consular Mission.

Under the U.S. Visa Waiver Programme, passport holders from 27 countries, including Ireland, may enter the U.S. without a visa for tourism or business purposes for a maximum period of 90 days.

A machine readable passport is a passport in which the holder's details have been printed on the datapage which also contains the holder's photograph. A passport where the holder's details have been handwritten is not a machine readable passport.

Children, including infants, who are endorsed on a parent's passport must have an individual machine readable passport or else obtain a visa in the parent's passport.

Passport Validity

In most cases, to enter the US, you must have a passport that is valid for at least six months after the date you enter. However, Ireland has an agreement with the US that allows you to enter on a current passport up to the actual date of expiration. An Irish passport need remain valid only for the duration of the holder's stay in the United States.

However, if you are traveling visa-free on the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) and your passport is valid for less than 90 days, you will be admitted only until the date on which the passport expires. If the passport is not valid for the duration of your stay, you will be required to apply for a new passport from your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate while in the U.S.

Further details on entry requirements are available on the U.S. Embassy website.  

Those travelling on J1 visas may wish to check the Travel Advice for J1 Students.

Children - Child travelling with one parent or someone who is not a parent or legal guardian or a group

Due to increasing incidents of child abductions in disputed custody cases and as possible victims of child pornography, the US authorities (CBP) strongly recommends that unless a child travelling to the US is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent (or, in the case of a child travelling with relatives other than parents, friends, or in groups such as school groups, a note signed by both parents) stating "I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is travelling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission to do so.".  CBP also suggests that this note be notarised.

While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if it does ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child travelling without both parents can be fully assessed. If there is no second parent with legal claims to the child (deceased, sole custody, etc.) any other relevant paperwork, such as a court decision, birth certificate naming only one parent, death certificate, etc., would be useful. Further information is here:



The US Government remains concerned about continued threats. Since the terrorist attacks on 11 September 2001, the US government has issued a number of warnings of potential further terrorist attacks in the US. The US domestic threat level stands at "elevated" (yellow). The US Government is maintaining heightened security, especially at airports. You should continue to expect stringent security checks at airports, transport stations and other public buildings.


The hurricane season runs from 1 June to 30 November, and can affect the whole of the southern USA. Please check the National Hurricane Centre website for more details.

Irish citizens who intend to travel to these areas should monitor information on the US National Hurricane Centre website National Hurricane Center.   Irish citizens are advised to monitor local weather reports on www.weather.gov and can also access local information on the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) website at http://www.fema.gov/ and at http://blog.fema.gov/

FEMA's website also contains information about how to prepare for extreme weather conditions and what to do if you are told to evacuate. It also provides a useful list of disaster supplies that will help if you live in an area affected by storms and hurricanes.

Irish citizens, visiting and residing in the United States, are advised to follow the advice of the US Centre for Disease Control available at http://www.cdc.gov/


The Irish Embassy in Washington DC and the Irish Consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, New York and San Francisco offer consular assistance to Irish citizens. Contact details for all Irish Missions in USA are available here.

We encourage citizens travelling to this destination to register their contact details here
 United States

Security Status

  1. Take normal precautions
  2. Exercise caution
  3. Exercise extreme caution
  4. Avoid non-essential travel
  5. Do not travel